Wednesday, June 3, 2015

i miss you, like every day




i will never ever EVER get over that these amazing magazines folded. they were edgy, unapologetic, and so girl positive [at least in my memories...] i am grateful for growing up in the 90s and being super-aware of women's issues and POC issues. i was always an intersectional feminist even when i didn't know it had a name. 

now as i watch A Different World and reflect back on Roseanne, The Spice Girls, Christina Aguilera's Dirrrty phase, and more, i think about how people can deny their true selves all the time, but we shine brighter when we allow ourselves to be playful and truthful.

when i have sons and daughters, I can't wait to introduce them to my world and ask them to teach me about theirs. 

the above magazines are now-defunct publications that i read every month, that shaped me, that were the epitome of "cool," that taught me about magazine writing, fashion, how to think for myself, and who my role models were. today if i had one dream, it would be to bring these magazines back!!!

off to do some daydreaming now....

No comments:

Post a Comment